Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Suburb #40 Hume

Suburb number 40 was the rather unusual industrial suburb of Hume - where less than 10 people lived until the ACT opened its first prison here in 2008.

Hume is named after explorer Hamilton Hume who is famous for finding/exploring Lake Bathurst, Jervis Bay, Yass plains, Berry, Braidwood, Port Phillip, Spencer Gulf, Blue Mountains and the Darling River. The streets here are named after Australian industrialists and businessmen.



OK so I have to admit that I was really quite worried about what the hell it would be worth photographing in Hume - but as usual Canberra surprised me.




I was especially amazed to find that there is actually an older heritage house in Hume called Hill Station. The homestead here dates back to 1909 and the property to the 1830s. Once upon a time this homestead entertained diplomats and foreign dignitaries, but unfortunately, it has been left to quite literally deteriorate which made me really sad - though apparently there are now plans to restore it. Despite the state of the property, it was, nevertheless, lovely to wander around and observe a group of artists at least using the property as their subject for the day :)










There also seems to be another former heritage property nearby - but I couldn't find out what it was as its all blocked off. Any ideas? let me know.


But one of the reasons that I wanted to go to Hume as from here you can follow the clues...


Go across (or rather under) the border of this suburb...


And into New South Wales...and you will find yourself in Environa!



This is a failed real estate development dating back to the 1920s that was intended to sit next to the ACT and mirror the ACT's Burley Griffin design...The land, which was originally part of the Hill Station property, was bought by a Henry Ferdinand Halloran - but the development never went ahead due to the Great Depression, with no blocks ever sold :(

Its now private property - still owned by Henry's family I believe. But from a distance you can still see the arch and and some of the stone pillars that were built. I found this fascinating - but then again I am a bit weird....I love this old photo of this arch as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment