Thursday, September 4, 2014

Suburb #38 Higgins

It was back to Belco to visit Higgins for number 38. I had never been here before, in fact I had oddly never even heard the word Higgins mentioned since I have been in Canberra, so I was interested to see what was in this suburb of mystery.

Higgins is named after Henry Bourne Higgins known as HB Higgins. He was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention and was later appointed to the High Court. He is famous for delivering the so called "Harvest Judgment" where he ruled that one of Australia's largest employers was obliged to pay his employees a wage that guaranteed them a standard of living that was reasonable for 'a human being in a civilised community' - apparently this led to the legal requirement for a basic wage. Go HB :)

The streets in Higgins are thus logically named after judges.


I think Higgins would be a nice place to live though I am not sure I would feel at home here - it seems like a incredibly quiet sleepy suburb.  And really quite pretty in the spring time....






It was so sleepy in fact that I saw no actual signs of living humans - except for the sounds of people singing hymns in the local church. This added to the somewhat unusual (for Canberra) religious feeling around here...


The local shops look like they have seen better days, but they had some really quirky features. I love the 'free tv' :p





In fact - particularly after the newness of Harrison and Forde...it was sad to see things being left to get so run down around this suburb. The playgrounds were really depressing and even valiant efforts to paint the old bus shelters seemed to be half finished...


But I didn't expect to find this here...no idea what it is like and as a vegetarian I won't be visiting but I know of at least two people who should go here :p plus their menu includes the phrases 'pulled pork', 'ribs' and 'wagyu brisket' which seem to make some of my foodie friends go week at the knees.


Higgins also has lots of the small walking passages between houses that I love in Canberra :) and some awesome old letter boxes.



But also some worthy entries in the interesting garden competition. My partner would have loved the unexpected use of palm trees display.



No comments:

Post a Comment