Sunday, August 3, 2014

Suburb #28 Red Hill

Suburb number 28 was Red Hill - perhaps the Canberran version of 'double pay' in Sydney. I have often driven around this suburb dreaming of being able to afford its houses...but I haven't really spent much actual time here so I really enjoyed my adventures.

Red Hill is named after a hill in the suburb which rather unsurprisingly has red soil (rather like the other red hill we visited in Franklin). So yes this suburb is not named after a person, which in my view is cheating really...however, as it is one of Canberra's oldest suburbs - gazetted in 1928 I guess I will forgive it.

Although after scaling the side of a hill and almost rolling down onto a main road in order to take a photo of the sign for this suburb, it hasn't left me in a very forgiving mood :p


The streets here are named after ships and explorers.


A number of heritage listed buildings can be found in Red Hill - these include the gorgeous Calthopers' House built in 1927 which I was lucky enough to get a tour of. Its open on the weekends from 1 to 4pm and is really worth a look. It gives you an amazing insight into what it was like to live in Canberra between the wars - and the best bit is - everything in the house is pretty much original - it is not a reconstruction.


There are also a number of embassies in Red Hill which makes for some  unusual garage sales...


And some unusual architecture and memories of times past...



But it is Red Hill itself and the natural parts of this suburb which are really the highlights (at least for those of us who can't afford a mansion :p). Money can't buy some of these beautiful views.










I made a few new friends on my journey as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment