Thursday, August 14, 2014

Suburb #33 Torrens

Suburb number 33. It had to be a good one. For no particular reason we chose Torrens a suburb on the South side at the bottom of the Woden land - i.e. the gateway to the deep South. It was a good choice :)

Torrens is named after Sir Robert Torrens who was a Premier of South Australia. He is probably better known however, not due to the suburb named after him, but due to the system of transferring land 'Torrens title' that is named after him (oh god bad property law flashbacks) which he pushed through the British Parliament and also brought to Australia.

The streets are named after South Australian pioneers, and so I didn't recognise any of them. Surely there should have been a Pyne Lane :p


Torrens was a very interesting suburb to visit. I had never been here before - though often travelling to the neighbouring suburb of Pearce to eat ridiculous amounts of food at Ramas.

I don't have a photo to do it justice really but the Torrens shop design was very unexpected. The shops are basically found in a semi-circle shaped building with a ridiculously large roof. I am really glad it looks like they are about to start renovations here - it would be sad to see such unusual local shop architecture disappear. 



There is also an amazing hindu temple nearby - though it seems to have closed down (although we were around the back of it). I think they used to have Indian food fairs here so I am sad if I have missed out :(



 I also have to record this impressive lawn design...


But really a key reason that Torrensians are very lucky is the amazing Mt Taylor reserve at the back of the suburb. I made my poor partner walk up the hill but it was definitely worth it. Kangaroos galore and some amazing views. I would love to trade my gym classes for a morning walk here. I may have gone a bit nuts with the kangaroo photos - apologies in advance - anyone would think I was an international visitor! But I don't think I have ever seen so many in the one place (except possibly at the back of Campbell near the high school/war memorial).










No comments:

Post a Comment