Sunday, January 26, 2014

Suburb #5 Beard

I will make an assumption here that none of you reading this have ever been to Beard and in fact you may not have even heard of it - so where is it? Well if you drive from Oaks Estate back towards Canberra Avenue/Fyshwick you will come to the new suburb of Beard with a very un-Canberraesque suburb name sign. And possibly a man with a beard as well....
 

Beard is not really a suburb yet - it started its modern life as "Fyshwick East Industrial Estate" in 2009, but became Beard later that year (though they still use the other name as well). In an earlier life, this was mainly a pastoral area, but then between the 40s and 70s it was the site of an abbatoir. Wow don't you just want to go there right now!

The suburb is aparently named after an "industrious" ex-convict called Timothy Beard (oh dear I think Dave must be on the ACT planning committee). It has streets named after minerals. Spongolite St is my favourite :) How cool an address would be 1 Spongolite St, Beard..if it was somewhere else...It looks like they wanted to develop a housing estate called Griffin Green here, but not sure whether this is progressing, and it will probably stay an industrial area I would imagine.

Lets just say that meeting my photo categories in this suburb was a little challenging, as Beard is  basically characterised by an absence of anything and some industrial buildings. I think I got there in the end though despite Jay doubting my ability to find anything beautiful here. I really hope they don't cut down the tree when they develop this suburb or they are in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment