Friday, June 27, 2014

Suburb #26 Greenway

I can't lie - we went to Greenway because it was on the way to Banks and we were hungry. However, after a successful food forage, we proceeded on to explore the suburb and I must say although Tuggeranong Town Centre still makes me mad - due to its amazing natural position and yet ugly design - we still had a great adventure with lots of unexpected things to see.

Greenway is named after Francis Greenway who was transported to Australia for the crime of forgery but became famous as Australia's first government architect. His face was shown on Australia's $10 note until 1993 - interesting given his original 'crime'. He died of typhoid near Newcastle in 1837. Not surprisingly the streets in Greenway are named after architects.


We first explored the area around Lake Tuggeranong which was quite pretty. Did you know Tuggeranong has a beach? Well you do now. The birds certainly like it. I am not sure about humans given winter temperatures. And clearly Canberra beaches are not for the faint-hearted...




We then wandered around the city centre which I find a bit creepy to be honest - sorry Greenway - something about the architecture and the odd pink colour scheme. But the area down near the lake is really quite beautiful.








I do just love the mountain views around this part of Canberra though...


And the area down near Pine Island Reserve is great for exploring....I am sure that I am almost fell in a wombat hole! And for demonstrating reaching????

I recommend a wander on the otherside of Tuggeranong Lake in the late afternoon as well - the water is like silver at this time of day, and the reflections are amazing.






No comments:

Post a Comment