Friday, April 18, 2014

Suburb # 19 Turner

It was such a beautiful day last Saturday that I decided to head out an explore a suburb nearby on foot. I chose Turner. For you non-Canberra folk, this is the first suburb in the so-called "inner north" that I believe I have explored as part of this project. I had been trying to leave these ones until later as they are my normal stamping ground but hey I needed some sun:)

Turner is named after Sir George Turner who was a Premier of Victoria and later a Federal Treasurer - in fact he was the first ever Federal Treasurer in 1901. He was made a Privy Councillor and a Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George - now that is a title that sounds pretty impressive :p 

Turner's streets are named after writers, legislators and pioneers. The people who like numbers tell me that almost 19% of its population is aged between 15 and 24 - so yeah its where some of the cool kids live.
I had expected to find many pretty things in Turner as it has lots of trees, gardens, nature strips and large blocks;  and the top of the suburb lines up with Black Mountain on one side and Mount Majura on the other. This definitely proved to be the case, with beautiful gardens and typical Canberra inner north views  everywhere - particularly with Autumn leaves now on the way...






There are also some interesting buildings here and there - although the new apartment blocks have now taken over most of the suburb.
I was, however, starting to worry that I wouldn't find anything unexpected in Turner, so I tried to go down as many of the secret pedestrian pathways that go between the streets - as a result I came across a number of parts of Turner that I didn't no even existed....including most unexpectedly a Ukrainian orthodox church buried in a hidden corner of the suburb not far from civic :) And don't worry I didn't eat the mushrooms!






No comments:

Post a Comment