Sunday, March 9, 2014

Suburb #15 Nicholls

We also went to Nicholls last week since we were already a long way from home and were desperately in need of lunch.

Nicholls is named after Sir Douglas Nicholls, a former Governor of the South Australia. So called 'Pastor Doug' was the first aboriginal person to be knighted by the Queen. Among other things he was a 'church planter' and an AFL football player, apparently he also taught the American army to throw a boomerang during the war and was a freemason. He was really known for his work with the indigenous community though. Streets in Nicholls - I assume because he was a footballer - are named after sports people.
I found Nicholls a rather odd place. It contains the touristy Gold Creek (i.e. Cockington green land for you non-Canberrans), where you can see parts of the old Ginninderra Village that was here long before Canberra itself and buy really good tea.
Then there is the actual 'suburb' which made me feel like I was stuck in a soapie from the 80s. It all looks very new and yet dated at the same time - particularly the McDonalds  street lights.
But there were lots of beautiful colours and unexpected things everywhere...
Nevertheless, I was starting to get very cranky with Nicholls particularly as the rain began to fall and there were no GF cupcakes at the 'house of cake'. But then I found possibly the best potato salad in Canberra at a local takeaway. The chips were pretty good too :)
We also found a cute little cul-de-sac near the lake where I would live it I had to live in Nicholls....though hopefully my garden would be a bit more tasteful.

No comments:

Post a Comment