Saturday, March 8, 2014

Suburb # 14 Fraser

This time it was back to the far reaches of Belco to visit Fraser. I had been here before for yummy vegetarian tagines cooked by my ex-elf/boyfriend's dad, but really had little memory of the suburb itself.
 
Fraser is named after a politician but not the one you think - rather James Reay Fraser. He was an MP during 50s - 70s who was from ACT.  I wish my job history could be as varied as this guy: chainman, axeman, teacher, war journalist, soldier, press secretary, private secretary, MP. Personally I also find it odd that his wife's name was Helen Whitten Rowland  - my mum's name is Helen and my Dad's middle name is Rowland (after his Grandfather Percy Fritz Rowland). Might have to get the family ancestry detectives on to this one...

The history of the area seems very interested with returned soldiers provided with land to settle here. The streets are named after early ACT residents.

Fraser seems a long way away and it seems like all the houses for sale, but it really is quite pretty. Around every turn seems a cute little cul-de-sac with gorgeous trees and peaceful looking houses.


It is very much 'on the edge of the bush' with the local far fighting equipment everywhere certainly evidence of this. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to live here during the Canberra bush fires and the local shops felt a bit like I was in the 70s.
There were lots of unexpected things to take photos of in Fraser - from a cactus growing out of a dunny in the front yard....to a path where I felt like I had accidentally slipped into the black forest in Germany or possible even Narnia, until the graffiti reminded me where I was :p

No comments:

Post a Comment