Sunday, April 29, 2018

Suburb #105 Isabella Plains

So it was time to explore the one and only remaining suburb in Tuggeranong.....suburb no. 105 Isabella Plains.

This is the first suburb I have explored that is described as being 'indirectly' named after someone, and someone who doesn't appear to be famous for anything and doesn't even have their own Wikipedia page :p It is named after Isabella Maria Brisbane, the daughter of Sir Thomas Brisbane, a colonial Governor of NSW. In the early 1820s, It appears that the local white settlers in fact called the whole Tuggeranong area "Isabella's Plain" in the then baby Isabella's honour. I wonder what became of this lady?


So it was a lovely Canberra day as we headed down to the 'deep South' for the last time....and you know I always try to find something positive about every suburb I visit, but I must admit I struggled a little bit at first with this one - apologies Plainsians.


I blame my school uniform which has caused me to have an enduring hatred of anything brown...and there is a lot of brown here...a mission brown theme even. The houses are brown....the fences brown and I was flabbergasted to find that all the houses almost still have the same brown awnings that the original houses were obviously originally built with.



The local shops also seem to be a little depressing to be honest...apparently the IGA is regularly broken into...perhaps they should make their liquor sign a little smaller?



But even here there are some of my standard Canberra favourites...



And of course some great open spaces and amazing gardens...





I think the local art work could use some  further consideration...



And perhaps the vineyard :p


But I did eventually find a house that was not brown....


And clearly everyone here is happy - so that is the main thing :)








No comments:

Post a Comment