Monday, January 9, 2017

Suburb #96 Ngunnawal

So I decided it was time to challenge my prejudice against light coloured bricks in honour of suburb no. 96 and visit one of the major remaining suburbs in Gungahlin....Ngunna, Ngunna, Ngunna, Ngunna, Ngunnawal!!!!

Ngunnawal, 13km from the centre of Canberra, is named after the Ngunnawal people, the original indigenous inhabitants of the area. The street names here also reflect the Ngunnawal language and celebrate Australia's indigenous heritage.

Alas Ngunnawal currently has no suburb signs due to the building of the light rail :(

It does, however, have lots of light coloured bricks :p It also has two sets of local shops. A larger set of shops...established in that distant historical period of 1996 :)





And the smaller Platypus shops....



I didn't get to meet a platypus....but not far away some some other 'friends' did surprise me though...



As expected, Ngunnawal also had a significant number of large houses with this suburb certainly no stranger to the new Australian mega-mansion...




But it also had some beautiful old gum trees and there are some quite lovely views from some of the hilltop reserves...





Gungahlinesque architecture is more obvious in the newer parts of the suburb, which I must admit I didn't even know were there until I drove into them. They didn't even appear on my map!





Before my adventures ended, I was,however, keen to visit the Gold Creek Homestead, a 140 year old building that was once the centre of the 3,940 Gold Creek estate.....but alas I couldn't get close enough to see the building.



So what did I miss proud Gungahlinites?

No comments:

Post a Comment