Saturday, October 4, 2014

Suburb #45 Phillip - meet you at the cemetery gates...

Suburb #45 was Phillip - aka Woden 'town centre'  - on the South Side of Canberra. Things called Phillip generally repel me so I decided to challenge my prejudices and see what secret beauty I could find here. I did end up with a headache but still enjoyed my adventure here, took LOTS of photos and definitely found some hidden treasures.

Phillip is named after Arthur Phillip the first Governor of NSW who was responsible for getting the first ships full of convicts to Australia from Britain. Rather logically, the streets in Phillip thus use names related to the First, Second and Third Fleets, except in Swinger Hill where they are named after architects.


I started off my wanderings at the Woden cemetery. I used to spend a lot of time having picnics in cemeteries in Sydney (bloody goths). While this wouldn't feel right here, this place is actually really beautiful - but not the place to visit when you are already feeling down, particularly the part which is dedicated to graves of children and has children toys place all around *sobs*.







You can also find the grave of Doc Evatt here if you look hard enough. Doc, also known as Herbert Vere Evatt, wasn't really very important to this country at all.. besides being Chief Justice of NSW, Leader of the ALP, third president of the UN General Assembly, Chairman of the UN Atomic Energy Commission, Attorney General and a Justice of the High Court. He clearly wasn't trying hard enough - oh and yeah he helped draft the UN Declaration of Human Rights and wrote a number of books on history and politics. Geez some folk are lazy! If only there were more of you Doc.


Just outside the cemetery is Eddison park which is gorgeous at this time of year with all the spring blossoms out - there is also a skate park for those that way inclined.







Next stop was Swinger Hill, a housing estate within Phillip that was built in the 1970s and was designed to 'challenge the Australian suburbs' with a mix of terrace and courtyard units. The name of this estate is just brilliant - and has thankfully so far avoided campaigns by conservatives to have the name changed to Howard Hill due to complaints that the name promotes infidelity and 'relationships of a sordid nature'. But this place is also just sooooooooooo cute..... I am amazed I haven't been here before. In fact, I am amazed I don't live here. My Harry Seidler flat belongs here I am sure of of it, Some of the buildings here also have a heritage listing, and I just love all the little walkways that run through the middle of the apartment blocks. Even despite all the mission brown, this place is awesome.






Next stop was the commercial area within Phillip - OK so its not overly photogenic (like me) but it too has its hidden positives. Amongst the car yards and mechanics, you can find amazing Indian food at Indian Affair - a Canberra institution, plus it is an op-shoppers paradise. To my surprise there is even a Japanese kimono/fabric shop there as well. It felt incredibly weird to step off the sidewalk in industrial Phillip in to mini Japan!




Finally it was over to Woden Town Centre, which hosts the tallest actual building in Canberra, Lovett Tower, but also the shorter, yet in my opinion the ugliest building in Canberra...not sure what it is called.


I must admit Westfield Woden really does depress me a bit, it seems lost in time somehow - especially compared to Belco. But walking around the town centre I found that there were certainly some more interesting and beautiful parts, including some interesting sculptures.










I also found an awesome bookshop...


And while I wouldn't say Woden architecture is beautiful it is certainly memorable...made me feel all nostalgic for the old Belconnen bus station with its classical music being boomed out of the loud speakers to try and repel the cool kids from hanging around.







I realise that this is a long post, but just lastly I must say, Westfield Woden are you really sure that this advertising campaign is appropriate....particularly when this is currently sitting above a childcare/children's play area! Creepy enough for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment